Let and For Ever 2

"Let" what a word indeed.

The Apostle Paul wrote to the Roman church that he had often "purposed to come to you, but was LET hitherto." Romans 1:13

Today, we would say "hindered," instead of "let."

In the last few hundred years the usage has completely changed the meaning of the word "let." It may be spelled the same, and pronounced the same, but the meaning has been changed to the exact opposite.

Since usage always determines meaning, biblical usage, certainly, always determines biblical meaning. Come on now I know for I struggled with a few words that my Sister, my wife had to help me out with, the meaning for the usage of the word today was not the usage when the KJV bible was written.

Now I like to look at the term "for ever." ("eternal and everlasting")

My first question is "How many days and nights was Jonah in the belly of the fish?"

Of course we would answer three days and three nights .... YET

I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me FOR EVER: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God. Jonah 2:6

YES, YES, YES; I know! More verses to prove Truth.

How about the Hebrew slave who loved his master and who did not want to go free at the end of the seventh year?

".... His master shall bore his ear through with an awl; and he shall serve him FOR EVER" Exodus 21:6

How about when when Solomon built the temple unto the Lord, he began his prayer of dedication with the statement: "I have surely built Thee an house to dwell in, a settled place for Thee to abide in FOR EVER." 1 Kings 8:13

And the Lord answered Solomon: "I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou has made before Me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put My Name there FOR EVER. " 1 Kings 9:3

Now history teaches us that Solomon's temple lasted for only about 400 years; not FOR EVER!

Now the word 'FOR EVER' is used to mean, in one case, three days and nights, in another case, a man's life-time, and in still another, a period of about four hundred years, surely does not mean unending or eternal--no matter what English word is used to translate it.

Now usage determines meaning and the usage of the word 'for ever' applied to eternal torment is only the twisting of a word to mean something different!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Male and Female 1

Kingdom sons

Patience